Friday, November 13, 2009

LAST DANCE: A POEM ABOUT MY DAD!



Please read this first draft poem about my dad. Leave a comment and tell me what you liked and what could be improved. Thank you for your imput.

Last Dance
by Kathy Stemke


A lifetime filled with memories
Your life, your smile, your glance
You tenderly reached out to me
To share with you this dance.

You gave to me the best you had
Your sweat, your joy, your tears
You sacrificed to dance with me
You pledged your heart for years

You danced with me the day I wed
So proud, relieved, and sad
We hugged and swayed around the room
With tears of joy, dear Dad

You taught me to stand tall and fight
With strength, and skill, and force
To persevere in all I do
And firmly stay the course

Even in my darkest hours
You came, advised, and stayed
You held my hand all through the night
To God we looked and prayed

But now you dance the dance of death
My Dad, my friend, so brave
Triumphantly you leap and twirl
And dance into your grave

Your song is not yet over Dad
I’ll say goodbye and then
I'll keep you close inside my heart
Until we dance again

Kathy Stemke's websites:
Moving Through all Seven Days link:http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/moving-through-all-seven-days/7386965#http://www.helium.com/users/406242.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/237923/Kathy_stemke_dancekam.html
http://kathystemke.weebly.com
Add to Technorati Favorites

11 comments:

Kristi's Book Nook said...

Kathy, this is a lovely poem about your Dad. I am sure his dance is not over, especially if he is in heaven. Thank you for sharing.

Dixie Phillips said...

Kathy,
This is beautiful! It's filled with heart and emotion... Thank you for sharing this...
Dixie

Lea Schizas - Author/Editor said...

Kathy, I couldn't read the whole thing because a flood of tears prevented me. Like you I had a close bond with my Dad and still do. He'll always be the love and motivator in my life.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Beautiful! My dad died when I was a little girl and your poem made me realize how much I've missed.

Beverly said...

That was incredibly powerful and moving.. What a wonderful, wonderful way to express your love to your father.

Heather said...

He'll be dancing with the angels . . . I just lost my mom in May so this was precious to read. Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem and thank you for sharing your heart.

Mayra Calvani said...

Dear Kathy,

THis is a beautiful, touching poem. IT has a feeling of serenity.

I don't know about rhyme and metter so I can't advice you on that. All I can say is that it flows well to my hears and brings up some nice images.

Good work!

Margie Church said...

Kathy, any father would be honored to have his relationship with his daughter commemorated in such a loving way.

Unknown said...

Thank you ALL for your kind comments. I'll dance with him again in Heaven. It's good to remember your blessings. God bless.

T. Forehand said...

Your poem is beautiful and rings true for me/ I lost my wonderful dad last year and he was my strength through many times. I miss him everyday as do my siblings and my mom. Thanks for sharing it.

Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for sharing your loving, beautiful poem, Kathy! It touched my heart with joy and sadness at the same time. It's a special comfort to anticipate that dancing again someday.