Sunday, November 2, 2008
COMPOUND WORD FUN!
COMPOUND WORD SLIDE
Click on the picture above to enlarge. You can print, laminate and cut out this activity for your use.
SILLY COMPOUND WORDS
1. Make two piles of words. (One for objects and one for animals)
Objects like: horn, ball, hat, pen, tree
Animals like: cat, dog, snake, bug, bird
2. Have the children pick one word from each pile, and put them together to make a silly compound word. For instance, hornsnake, ballcat, treedog, penbug, hatbird
3. Draw a picture of your silly compound word.
COMPOUND WORD SWITCH
1. Separate two compound words, and switch them around to make a new compound word.
handbag and foothill make two new silly words- handhill and footbag
catfish and butterfly make two new silly words- catfly and fishbutter
crabgrass and crossroad make two new silly words- crabroad and crossgrass
wheelchair and beeline make two new silly words- wheelline and beechair
cottonwood and pancake make two new silly words- cottoncake and woodpan
sunflower and armpit make two new silly words- sunpit and flowerarm
2. Draw pictures of your new silly words and have fun!